Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My mission: a mission statement

So, I'm no stranger to strategic planning.  Good lord....my MBA concentration was in Strategic Management, but why oh why am I having such a difficult time with zeroing in on my own company's mission statement?

I've sat on multiple boards, have had to go through this process at my current and previous employers...and yet...here I am with nothing solid.

So I decided to use a trusty source - Google!  Why not see what's out there, right?  Well, try doing a search for mission statements and try to figure out how to narrow down all the results.  I chose to go with images and here are some of the more "inspiring" examples.

This is a good overall target....but it's not really what I want to put out there for potential clients or investors. 

Again - I think this is the ultimate goals of most businesses, so I'm not hating the idea...it's just that my purpose for creating a company is so much more than the financial possibility.  That's just the potential perk.
A mission statement should answer four things:
  1. capture your purpose
  2. must be customer oriented
  3. express the company's philosophy
  4. encompass the values
So here I am.....here is where I am stuck.  I can't seem to find the right words!  So I decided to blog about it and see if I can bounce off my thoughts with some of you.  So feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Some of the core elements of why I decided to launch a business include:
  1. Wanting to help clients represent their "whole" self - culturally/ethnically, visually, verbally (through journaling, for example)
  2. To fill a void in the scrapbook/craft industry for tools/embellishments that represent various ethnic/cultural entities.  In my case, I'm most interested in the Latino culture first, but I would love to create a line that targets the multicultural richness that is the world.
  3. To teach/inspire others to craft - because at the end of the day, only you can fully capture the memory. 
Try saying all that in less than 50 words (I don't believe in long mission statements)!!!  


1 comment:

  1. Why not get a team of crafty people you admire/trust, etc. together over lunch or drinks and ask for help with it?

    It's a trick (called 'don't do it yourself' i think) from Barbara Sher who wrote "Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want"

    Love that book, you might too!

    Pam Hoffman
    http://turnyourwebsiteintoanatm.com/

    I help businesses get found on the internet

    ReplyDelete