Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's wedding week!

Unfortunately, not my wedding, but I'm super happy for this weekend to come. One of my best friends is getting married this Friday, and I've had so much fun helping her get her paper items ready for the big day.  

One of the first items I fully finished last week was the place seating decor.  My bff is having an outdoor wedding, so we toyed around with several ideas for options that wouldn't blow away in the wind.  My research came up with a lot of fun options that were up for consideration, but the final decision was to use a vellum covered votive for a simple elegance.

Sounds simple enough, right?  Well, boy oh boy, was I surprised to discover that this was going to be a lot more work than I anticipated.

Why?  Well, I didn't take into account that the votive itself was beveled, as opposed to being completely perpendicular to it's base like a cylinder. This meant I had to find a template that had a curve built into it so that when I cut it out (yes, each wrapper had to hand cut per votive), it would wrap around easily.  MUCH easier said than done.

Thankfully, there are many DIY brides out there that are willing to share their templates.  I managed to find one that I could save onto to my desktop to manipulate.  I fortunately had downloaded a free trial of Adobe Illustrator (my DREAM software) which allowed me to manipulate the pdf template.  

The votive template I found had beautiful designs on them (clearly someone who had knowledge of graphic design, but that's not what I needed.  I just needed the outline.  So I was able to cancel out the beautiful design and lengthen the wrap so that it would fit the size of our votives.  Success!

Our vellum is soft peach in color.  Side note:  Who knew peach paper in bulk would be so hard to find.  Thank goodness for Paper and More for having it in cardstock and vellum (after much searching!).

A word to the wise regarding adhesives...

For the overall wrap, I was able to use regular double sided tape.  It shows through the seam, of course, but it'll do.  It got trickier when I wanted to attach the names and table numbers to the front.  I tried vellum tape and glue dots and both were glaringly obvious.  All I could think about were the potential photographer photos, and I was mortified at the thought of the glue showing through with the flash in pictures for years to come!

What seems to have worked beautifully (only time will tell) was the Xyron machine!  I turned each name label into an overall sticker.  This allowed for the the adhesive to be evenly spread out on the whole label which eliminated the "obvious" presence of adhesive.

Yay!  I did a test run with the tea light and the votive looks beautiful.  Once lit they will be great on the tables as the sun goes down.

I'm happy to share my template with anyone whom needs it!  Just leave me a comment below with your email and I'll shoot it over to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment