Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Showing our Compassion

As I mentioned in my first blog, I have some fantastic, incredible friends.  Today, I want to talk about my friend, David.

Without going into great detail about David, I do want to shed some light on the great work he is a part of today (right now).  Dave is in the movie business...and he spent some significant time in the Dominican Republic not too long ago.  When the devastating quake hit Haiti, he didn't even think twice about whether or not he was going to be a part of convoy to bring supplies to the people.

You can imagine the pit in my stomach this morning when I heard that a large aftershock had hit the island.  Besides feeling absolute sadness for the people who have already endured so much pain, I also had a mini-panic moment.  This morning, I thought I had two friends in Haiti and I didn't know how to even begin finding out if they were ok.  I can't even imagine what it must feel like for those individuals who have all their family on the island.

I am one of the lucky people.  My one friend's medical deployment was delayed, so he was still safe at home with his beautiful wife.  I selfishly cheered for joy.

Dave was the one that made my hair grow grey.  With the beauty of smart phones, we had received heart wrenching updates from him via facebook for the past couple of days, but there were no recent postings....so I tried to not worry right away.  I shot him and email and waited....and waited....and waited.  Around lunchtime here, we got the facebook update....he was okay and ready to head in with the supplies.  Again, a selfish cheer for joy.

I know I shouldn't feel guilty that my friends are okay, but I do.  I do because there are so many people who will never know what happened to their friends, their siblings, their parents.  It just makes my heart so heavy.

Thankfully, Dave gave us a quick insight into what agencies he was able to see that were getting stuff through...I've made donations to both and shared that information with everyone I could.  I may not have the funds to make a million dollar donation, but I can make some contribution.

If you can also make a contribution or know people that can, please consider donating to one of the following agencies:










 

No comments:

Post a Comment