Sunday, January 23, 2011

Today's "How do you know" moment

As I delivered a long-overdue album to a client....I found myself wondering what it would be like to craft every day of my life to make a living.  Because I currently control the flow of work (partly because I do have a demanding 9 to 5), I use crafting/scrapbooking as a stress reliever. 

If I crafted every day....would I still enjoy it as much if I depended on it for my livelihood?
Hmmmm.....

I imagine that if I were able to make a sustainable wage from crafting, I would be at a point where my products were more than my custom albums....like having my own product line.
So today's how do you know question is:
"How do I know I can't be the next Martha Stewart?"


I mean, honestly....this woman now has a product line available in all major craft stores AND she has a new pet product line!  All things she loves....and she's figured out how to make a living from it.

So what's my first step in all of this?

Well, I'm going to have to take a step way back to the beginning --- to before launching my business....

I need to first actually write a business plan for my company!  Can you believe I never did this?  I literally opened my company for the tax incentive/benefit of being able to charge clients and write off business expenses.

I need to seriously sit down and figure out what my vision, mission, and goals are for my company.  I have a lot of ideas for things I want to do, but I need to really flesh out my direction and strategy for achieving them.  

During the month of February, I will start off by determining my vision, my mission and my top 3 goals.  Ha!  Let's see if 1 month is enough time to narrow down my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment