Saturday, January 22, 2011

This year's philosophy: "How Do you Know?"

Back in November, I was at dinner with my friends celebrating one of their birthdays.  Our dinners are always a blast....full of laughs, innappropriate conversations for a public venue, lots of drinking, and randomness.

One of the more random items took place on the car ride home from dinner.  My friend Rose and I were having a discussion about my fascination with people who go to work in Circuses.  I explained to her that the root of my fascination lies with one question....



"How do you know you can do that?!" 

This totally jogged Rose's mind as she had been having a similar conversation with someone else and had thought the same thing.

"How do people find out they are good at something obscure?"

So we officially declared that year 2011 would be the year of the "How do you know?" motto.

As silly as it may sound, my first how do you know question occurred to me while on vacation over the holidays.  While snorkeling, I was watching some divers and realized that I was absolutely transfixed by their underwater swimming skills.  They looked like mermaids (you know...that wave movement!).  I found myself asking....how did they learn to do that?!

Soooooo.....the first thing I did when I got home was to sign up for swim classes!  Because after all, how do I know I can't do that?!

Ha!  It's been two weeks now, and I'm in hysterics over the fact that my instructor has already decided to start teaching me the elements of the Butterfly Stroke.  Huh?  What?   I guess I'm gonna learn how to move my legs like a mermaid sooner than I expected!

This is gonna be fun.  Heck...I might even be your next Olympian ;)

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect way to set up some fun adventures in 2011! I have ALWAYS wondered about the moment opera singers discover their talent...

    ReplyDelete