Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Because sometimes you should be a little fearless

The Craft & Hobby Association has blessed me this week by arriving to the good ole Chi!  Though I didn't have an admittance ticket, I stopped by the convention center on Monday night to meet my crew from Charity Wings.  

I've been volunteer blogging for them for almost a year now (crazy!), and this was my first opportunity to meet some of the wonderful people.  

While hanging out, I was offered the chance to take part in a class by a total stranger.  I didn't even blink...I didn't even ask what type of class!  I said:
YES!  
You see, this is my year of WHY NOT!  So...why not?!

Well, as I waited for the class to start, I started to get very, very nervous.  I saw paints, paint brushes, and canvases. I thought: "Oh my...I'm a paper girl...I don't paint!"  But I sat there quietly and listened to what we were about to do.

After two hours of listening to our wonderful teacher describe the order of mixed media layering and techniques on painting, I'm proud to say that I'm actually pleasantly surprised by my progress at the end of the class.


I found myself drawing freely and painting even more freely.  
Mistakes?!  Who cares!  It's paint.....paint OVER it!  
I layered colors and added highlights &shades to the best of my ability.

And at the end of two hours, I can say my girl has a peaceful face.  Not scary....not off scale....not too off color.  Just peaceful.

I guess abandoning fear does have its perks and can result in some fun surprises.

I have a lot to finish here, but I can't wait to get back to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment