Friday, March 2, 2012

Boy Birthday Cards

This month's Card Cupids Challenge is to make Birthday Cards for Boys. 

As a member of the design team, I challenge myself to try and make the best card possible to encourage and inspire some of our followers to submit their versions.  I always hope that our followers will then send in their creations for the kids at the local shelter where Card Cupids is based (Virginia).

Birthday Cards are easy.....masculine or boy-friendly cards....so not my strength.  I love flowers and bling...so forcing myself to tone down the feminine angle can be tough.  However, I carefully chose my images from Bugaboo Stamps so that I could have the best image to work with.  That, in itself, proved challenging because Bugaboo has a lot of cute stuff, and I could only choose two stamps.

However, after weeding through the cuteness, I came across a baseball player and fireman image that I thought would be perfect.  I didn't realize my baseball player was, in fact, a girl until I was almost done designing the card - oh well! 


My favorite is definitely this fireman card.  I doodled in my sentiment because I'm trying to force myself to not be entirely dependent on my Cricut die cutting machine.  It also makes me practice doodling for my art journal.


I've been taking an on-line Copic coloring class through Created from Color, and I definitely used some of the new tricks on these images.  I was super pleased at the smooth coloring and shading.  I can't wait to get into the real nitty gritty in that class.  I'm sure that in a couple of weeks, I'm going to think these images need a lot of work.  For now, I'll take them!

No comments:

Post a Comment