Sunday, January 29, 2012

My first Art Journal

The incredibly talented Liz Hicks launched a free year round class on making an art journal.  Not only is it immensely generous of her to share with us a year's worth of expertise, but I'm uber excited about seeing what she creates to motivate us.

I've never really been a free hand drawer.  It's not that I can't draw (I can a little)...I guess it's just a skill I never developed so I don't have the utmost confidence in devoting a whole project to illustration.  Well, this is the year where I challenge myself...so Liz's class was a great place to start.

So not only am I going to be forced to draw...I'm also going to be forced to JOURNAL (something else I don't do at all).

I started by buying a few supplies
1. A sketch journal
2. Pastels (something she recommended but wasn't needed)
3. Drawing pencils - apparently a charcoal and something else I don't know how to use (ha!)
4. A small artist's palette for acrylic paints

So I had some fun new supplies but now I was supposed to actually start my journal.  I completely FROZE!  Where was I supposed to start?!

I cheated....I did a little google searching...and found some great sources of inspiration. I saw examples of others' work and made note of the elements I liked.

And well, that's all I needed to get me going!  Can't wait to see where this goes...
I sketched with a pencil and then went over my drawing with a micron marker.  I fought the urge to trace exactly.




then I used the pastels - and used my fingers to blend (messy fun!)

not sure how to set the page so that the pastels don't come off, but I'm pretty happy with my first page

7 comments:

  1. It turned out so pretty Nubia!! Stopping by to invite you to visit Link Up for Pink's new website http://www.linkupforpink.com
    We are celebrating with several giveaways! :)

    (I also have a giveaway on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, just popping in from Ms Hicks first post. I too am embarking on this journal journey.
    Love how you sketched then used your pastels, this looks bright and fun, Well done
    Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please share your link when you're done so that I can come and see your beautiful work!

      Delete
  3. i love how this turned out!! i have yet to use pan pastels... envious!
    love love love inky fingers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. Hope you'll join us in the class too! I love to see and learn from others' creativity!

      Delete
  4. ahh...this is lovely...so soft and pretty,...i too am doing this and have done my first page...would love for you to come check it out...

    http://mandyeightisenough.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/you-can-do-this.html

    i am doing a whatever one...lol...take care and i'll see you next week...xxx

    ReplyDelete