Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mixed Media Project: DIY Masquerade Ball Mask

A long delay does not equal a lazy crafter!  I've probably done more crafting in the last two months than I have in a really long time, and it's been a ton of fun.

I've decided to dabble in the mixed media realm for the first time. While I'll always be a paper crafter at heart, I needed to push my crafting comfort zone a bit. If you know me well, you know I love a crafty challenge!

So what would be my first challenge....

For a work fundraising event, I was charged with adding a masquerade mask to my formal attire. I waited until the last minute to really start hunting for a unique mask and I realized I would have to drop a pretty penny to buy one. I much more preferred to give a donation to our cause then to buy a mask I probably wouldn't wear again.

I went to youtube and I did a search for DIY masquerade masks and came across this video:


I couldn't believe that all the ingredients I would need would be aluminum foil, tape, and newspaper. Lord knows I had the embellishment supplies to spare, so I figured I had nothing to lose in trying.

Off I went on my crafty adventure!

Are these really the majority of the craft materials needed?
Molding layers of aluminum foil on your face is much harder than I expected.
Ha! I needed to make sure my molding was on target. Had to make the eye holes a bit larger than originally drawn.

It wasn't until the papier mache part that I really felt like we had something coming together.
Painting my base
And then I lost my mind looking for embellishments!

I had a bunch of embellishment options, but I realized I also wanted to use up supplies that I hadn't touched in months. So I took some of this adorable "Day of the Dead" fabric I bought YEARS ago and went with it.  After all, I am Mexican...so why not celebrate it!






I also went with a mask on the stick...probably the smartest of my decisions.

I had a blast watching this unfold step by step and I liked the original look of my final project.

This first little dabble in the mixed media world was not as scary as I imagined. Here's to more fun projects!







No comments:

Post a Comment